Pigtails & Crewcuts is a brand new kids hair salon in Danville. Their bright color scheme and little cars for kids to sit in make it an inviting place for children getting their hair cut. This hair salon construction project was a fun job to complete, even with a couple of minor challenges along the way. This entire job took two months, beginning to end, and we are thrilled with the end result.
Jill Landry is a mom with young kids who saw the potential for a successful kids hair salon in Danville. Pigtails & Crewcuts has franchise locations all over the country but only a couple exist in Northern California. So, she found the perfect location for her new franchise at Tassajara Crossing and contacted us to complete the job. This is a brand new business venture for Jill as well as her first salon business.
When we first arrived at the job site, it was a bit of a mess. We knew that we would have to start completely from scratch. The previous tenant installed the wiring incorrectly, so we had to rewire the entire building as well as all the circuits. We also ripped up the old floor, tore down some walls, and got the entire area prepped for a massive makeover.
Kids Hair Salon
Pigtails & Crewcuts has franchise requirements that we had to follow, including furniture layout, colors, themes, register requirements, and lighting. However, we custom built a window on-site to separate the play area from the salon floor. Plexiglass was chosen for safety reasons, with a nice wood frame. We also opted for taller baseboards to give a nicer look inside the salon.
Click or tap on any photo for a closer look.
A Few Challenges
As with most commercial projects, the most important part of the job was adherence to deadlines. We built a day by day schedule and stuck to it. There were a few additions to the original scope of work, like some customer requests like media installation. We managed a lot of moving parts, including all the franchise requirements, building code requirements to bring the building internals up to code (electrical, lighting control, and bathroom ADA requirements). Plus, we had to appease the property owners of the entire complex while working there. We worked a lot of night shifts as the neighboring business was a bank. They didn’t want the initial demolition noise during business hours so we worked after hours and at night. At the very last minute, we ran into an issue with fire sprinklers which we had to resolve at the last minute.
We navigated each challenge without pushing out the deadline too far; we only had to add about an extra week to complete everything. There was nothing we couldn’t handle or solve.
After two months of hard work, we left Jill with a business she was excited to begin.